Date(s) - 01/01/2018
10:30 am - 11:30 am
Add to calendar:
Link to Event
From International Association of Infant Massage (IAIM)
Baby Massage classes
IAIM baby massage classes are taught by a Certified Infant Massage Instructor (CIMI) in a relaxed and welcoming environment. It offers an opportunity for parents to experience how to communicate with their baby through nurturing touch and massage, drawing from both Indian and Swedish massage traditions, as well as incorporating principles from yoga and reflexology.
On the course you will learn:
- Massage strokes for legs, feet, stomach, chest, arms, hands, face and back
- A short colic routine
- Gentle movements
- Touch relaxation
- The importance of good positioning
- The best time and for how long to massage
- What massage oils to use
- How to adapt the strokes for your baby’s individual needs and the growing child
The course is taught over five weeks in order to give both the parent and baby time to learn and become accustomed to the massage. They include time for parent relaxation and informal discussions on the joys and challenges of parenting. Group sessions can be very supportive as we actively encourage parents to share experiences and learn from each other.
Parents who have already attended our courses have shared benefits including:
- Relief from wind, colic, constipation and teething discomfort
- Increased levels of relaxation and longer sleep
- Reduced crying and emotional distress
- Development of body awareness and coordination
- Helping your baby to feel securely attached
- Helping your baby to feel more loved, valued and respected
- Feeling closer to your baby
- Gaining a deeper understanding of your baby’s behaviour, crying and body language
- Providing an enjoyable opportunity for you to spend one-to-one time with your baby
- Feeling the relaxing effects of giving your baby a massage
- Increased confidence in your ability to care for and nurture your baby
- Learning a life-long parenting skill
Studies from around the world have shown that baby massage reduces post-natal depression and can improve parent/baby relationships.
Our baby massage classes are baby-led, friendly and relaxed, for babies from birth through to pre-crawling.
Only the parents will massage their baby, the instructor will always demonstrate the strokes on a doll.
Classes are 45mins-1hr in length. Each session is held at weekly intervals to allow you and baby to absorb all the information and get used to the massage.
Please bring a blanket, cushion and wear comfortable clothes, as we will be working on the floor.
Oil and handouts are provided.
To book a course please contact Elaine Bratby on: